Urology Surgery Medical Value Travelers from Zimbabwe to India
Urology surgery: Advantage India
Urology surgeries treat diseases of male or female urinary tract and reproductive organs. Urology is well established as a discipline separate from general surgeries. Urologist needs specialized knowledge of internal medicine, pediatrics, gynecology and other specialties. There are many sub-specialties under urology:
- Pediatric Urology
- Urologic Oncology (cancer)
- Renal Transplantation
- Male Infertility
- Calculi (urinary tract stones)
- Female Urology
- Neuro-urology (voiding disorders, urodynamic evaluation of patients and erectile dysfunction or impotence).
Urologist deals with a wide range of conditions: obstructive uropathy, stone diseases, congenital anomalies, malignant tumors, cancer, incontinence, etc. Urologic problems in women: incontinence, cystitis, diverticuli, etc. need diagnosis and therapy. As new therapies are emerging, the field of urology is constantly evolving. Within urology, male sexual dysfunction and infertility have emerged as subspecialities. As technologies advance, medical management of male fertility is requiring high level of expertise in the area of reproductive psychology and endocrinology.
Advances in technology and also emphasis on laparoscopic vs open surgeries to lessen patient pain and recovery time all make the field of Urology surgeries extremely dynamic and fast changing. Urologists not only need a strong knowledge of fundamentals; but also have to be able to re-learn new ways diagnosis and treatments.
India is at a great advantage in the field of Urology surgeries. Medical research, education and technology in India are quite advanced. India has excellent medical service facilities and the doctors use the most advanced techniques in surgical treatments. India can now claim to offer the whole range of Urology treatments and cater not only to the domestic population but also to the international patients.
Urologists in India have been educated at the premier institutes in India; following their education, they underwent specialized training in well known institutes around the world. Having brought their know-how back to India, these surgeons have been offering the best treatments to patients from all around the world. It would, therefore, be hard to find a Urology condition that an Indian Urologist has not encountered or fixed.
Critical shortage of expert medical staff in Zimbabwe
Even though basic healthcare and reproductive healthcare are guaranteed in the constitution of Zimbabwe, the ground reality is opposite. Zimbabwe faces shortage of medical staff due to neglect and underfunding. The best medical staff has emigrated. The remainder medical staff does not have adequate medical facilities to even provide the basic healthcare needs for the ailing population in the country. Shortage of medical experts in Zimbabwe means that they have to look for critical Urology treatments in hospitals in India.
Urology surgery patients from Zimbabwe to India
Patients from Zimbabwe have been traveling abroad for medical treatments for years. Many travel to neighboring African countries such as South Africa, Mozambique, etc.; some travel to countries as far away as India, Singapore, Dubai, etc. India has received several thousand medical value travelers from Zimbabwe since 2010. The lower cost of healthcare in India compared to US and South Africa is the main aspect that attracts Zimbabweans to travel to India. A surgery could cost as little as 30% in India as it would in South Africa.
The growth potential of medical value travel business from Zimbabwe visiting India for Neuro surgical procedures can be estimated. Urology surgical procedures remain one of the top procedures for which international patients travel to India. If 2,000 Zimbabweans would visit India every year, out of that, about 100 would be visiting for Urology surgeries alone. Presently, over 10,000 patients travel to South Africa for their various treatments from Zimbabwe. Cost and quality advantages are with India and medical value travel providers and hospitals in India are, therefore, giving South African hospitals a run for their money. Several thousand Zimbabweans have traveled to India for their medical value travel since 2010.
The hospitals and medical staff in India have the right expertise and state-of-the-art equipment to conduct even the most complex Urology conditions. Zimbabwe faces critical shortage of expert doctors. Therefore, Zimbabweans need to travel abroad to seek treatments for their Urology conditions. Zimbabweans travel to neighboring African countries primarily; for example in 2010 nearly 17,000 travelled to South Africa. The cost of complex surgeries is about 3 times higher in South Africa compared to that in India. Indeed, several thousand Zimbabweans have traveled to India for their medical treatment since 2010. Further growth potential is huge. A concerted effort by Indian Hospitals, Medical Value Travel providers along with Ministry of Health and Child care in Zimbabwe would be necessary. India has the right attributes: expert doctors, advanced equipment and most importantly low cost to ensure more Zimbabweans travel to India for Urology surgeries and other procedures.
About Indian Hospitals
India offers some of the best medical treatments in the world. The private hospitals in India have excellent reputation and our healthcare sector has sustained enormous boom in recent years. Despite the prejudices about healthcare in developing countries, rest assured that the urology surgery hospitals in India are at the forefront of medical technology and are well equipped with the modern state of the art technology and highly qualified and experienced urology surgeons. Indian doctors are considered the best in the world with the high level of surgical expertise that evolves from many years of training.
Hygiene in private hospitals in India is excellent and the Zimbabwe patients seeking cardiac surgery are screened for HIV and Hbs Ag antibodies to prevent the transmission of communicable diseases and incidence of MRSA is minimal. The operation theatres have laminar air flow installed and gaining the ISO9001 standardisation, a voluntary standardisation run b a nongovernmental body where the hospitals must pass rigorous tests to be certified is increasingly becoming popular in the hospitals and the clinics.
Medical Visa Information for Patients from Zimbabwe to India
One would need a medical visa if he/she is travelling to India for his/her treatment. The availability, criteria and eligibility of getting a medical visa matters. Hence we provide all the information about the medical visa lest it becomes tricky or confusing.
The High Commission of India, Harare in Zimbabwe, the primary considerations to grant a medical visa includes the serious ailments such as cardiac problems, congenital disorders, neurosurgery, joint replacements, plastic surgery, renal disorders, organ transplantation, ophthalmic disorders, and radiotherapy and gene therapy. The list of treatments is non-exhaustive.
- The sole purpose of travel should be undergoing medical treatment in India.
- The applicant should seek medical treatments at reputed/specialized/recognized hospitals in India.
- Two medical attendants are allowed to travel with the patient which could be his/her family members, associated or relatives.
Documents required for submission of Visa Application to India for Zimbabwean nationals
- Online registered/duly filled in Visa application form signed by the applicant.
- One photographs conforming to specifications and photo may be uploaded during registration.
- Return air tickets and copy of applicants Passport along with the original Passport.
- Letter from the local hospital/doctor and/or Certificate from doctor/hospital after examination of the patient’s condition, requirements and availability of the treatment in India. Complete copies of treatment record from the local hospital.
- Letter from the Indian hospital showing the name of patient & attendant and estimate medical treatment cost, which must also be mailed by the hospital authorities to Embassy’s mail box consembindia.org.zw.
- If the patient is on Medical aid and letter from Medical Aid Society confirming patient’s admissibility for medical treatment in India and Guarantee from the Medical Aid society for the treatment expenses and proof of fund transfer to India.
- Latest Bank statement. The Account’s statement should be certified by the bank and must indicate applicant’s full name & address showing enough funds to conduct the trip.
- In case of someone else bank-statement, please enclose the affidavit of the person sponsoring the expenses along with the copy of the photo identity card / passport bearing the ink-signed signature of the sponsor.
- Proof of relationship of attendant accompanying the patient and/or a letter indicating relationship.
- A separate letter giving full details of previous visits to India, including periods of stay.
- If a third party is sponsoring the patient and attendant, then please enclose the affidavit of the person sponsoring the expenses along with the copy of the photo identity card / passport bearing the ink-signed signature of the sponsor and his bank attested bank-statement. The affidavit should clearly mention the relation and/or reason for sponsoring the patient and attendant and the Sponsor should take all responsibility for the conduct & return from India of the sponsored persons.
- Third party sponsoring is not allowed for terminal illness treatment.
- Visa fee in Cash/USD
Before applying for visa, please ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of your application.
Visa invitation letter
When you are applying for a medical visa, a visa invitation letter is required. A visa invitation letter is a formal document that is sent to the patient from the Indian hospital that sanctions his/her medical treatment in that hospital in India.
This also serves the purpose of a proof that the patient has indeed contacted with Indian hospital and will be having his or her treatment there. The visa invitation letter consists of the patient details, details of his/her ailment, treatment procedure and duration of the treatment involved. Hence it is an important and mandatory document required during the application and for the sanction of a medical visa to the patient.
Mr. S. Rajendran
Designation: Commercial Officer
Phone No: 00263 4 795955, 00263 4 704670
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: No. 12, Natal Road Belgravia, Post Box 4620, Harare, Zimbabwe
Phone no: 00263-4-795955 - 56, 792523
Fax: 00263-4-795958, 795413
Email ID: email@example.com
Travelers visiting India must possess a valid "Yellow Fever Vaccination" card if they are transiting or have transited through a Yellow Fever Zone.
- Flight & Travel from Zimbabwe to India
- Harare, Zimbabwe (HRE) to Mumbai, India (BOM)
- Bulawayo, ZI (BUQ) to New Delhi, IN (DEL)
- Harare, Zimbabwe (HRE) to Chennai, IN (MAA)
- Harare, Zimbabwe (HRE) to Bangalore, IN (BLR)